Thursday, October 27, 2011

Raining Cats & Dogs

Last Thursday, I left my house at 8:15am like I always do.  I heard the rain pounding against the window and dreaded going outside. I stepped outside with my umbrella in hand and witnessed rain like i've never seen before.  It was blowing in every direction and by the time I got to the bus stop, I was completely soaked.  I was unable to get on the first two buses because they were so packed with people. Finally, I made it on the third.  The traffic was horrendous and was moving at snail-pace.  My bus-ride is usually about 20 minutes in the morning.  I had to be to work by 9am, but we were moving inches at a time.  9 o'clock rolled around and I called work to tell them that I was running late, but would be there.  After about 1 hour and 15 minutes of sitting on the bus, the bus driver came on and said, "in dietro" meaning, we're turning the bus around because it couldn't cross the road.  I got off and was going to attempt walking the rest of the way to work, which would've been about a 15-minute walk in the torrential downpour. I walked about 100 meters only to find this:


I suppose that's the reason the bus couldn't cross the road.  The water was almost up to the windows of these 2 cars under the bridge.  It was impossible for me to cross the road to get to work, so I ended up calling and told them I couldn't make it.  They completely understood and as it turned out, the person I had a lesson with called and cancelled as well.  I've never seen such a crazy rain storm in my life!!


It was a blessing in disguise as I was then able to attend Giuseppe's graduation ceremony, which I would've missed since I had to work. I had to brave the 15 minute walk on foot in the pouring rain in the opposite direction from here to get to his apartment though.  I was already completely soaked from head to toe, so I figured I might as well keep going.  I showed up to his apartment and felt like I had just stood in the shower with all of my clothes on for 15 minutes.  What a mess!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment