Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Getting Settled

I came back from Irsina earlier than Anna and Giuseppe last week because I started training for a job on Tuesday. I accepted a position at a school called, Inlingua, that is only a 20 minute walk from the boy's apartment. Very convenient that it's in the area! I attended 12 hours worth of training last week with the director and taught my first lesson yesterday. Some students come to the school, but they also teach at a lot of companies, so I may have to travel to different parts of the city in the future. Yesterday's lesson was 4 hours with a business-professional woman looking to improve her English.  She works for Fiserv and the company is doing a huge re-work, with the new head director being either British or American.  This lady lived in Washington DC back in 1990, where she works for a cancer research company. She was very easy to get along with and I thought my first lesson went great! I was very nervous leading up to it, but felt very comfortable once there.  I start teaching IBM professionals from 9am-1pm as a group lesson next Monday for 3 weeks.  I'm much more nervous about teaching a group!

I also accepted a position working for a company called, English 4 Me.  They are also located close to my apartment.  I will be teaching elementary students 3-4 days per week in an after-school program.  I will also be doing private lessons for some of those students, as well as, private lessons for adults. I teach my first private lesson this Friday for a couple who wants to go to the US next year and would like to be able to speak good English.

I have an opportunity for a third job, but at this time, really do not have time for it.  Giuseppe's friend, Adriano is starting a school near the local airport, Ciampino.  He needs two teachers to begin with while he gets the school established to work from 4-9, but that doesn't fit in my schedule.  He wanted to open the school September 15th, but it's now September 28th and there's no sign of the school opening anytime soon.  I couldn't sit around and wait for him to start the school.  If it's a good enough opportunity, I may choose to work for him in the future.  It is a far commute, so the other two jobs that I accepted are much more convenient for me.

I move out of Giuseppe and Francesco's on Friday and into an apartment with 3 Italian girls. The girls are all students and I have yet to meet them, so I hope that they are easy to get along with.  Giuseppe's friends, Adriano and Aurelio, own the apartment and rent it out, so I feel much better knowing the landlords. My room is a double room, meaning it has 2 beds.  I'll be living in the room by myself until the end of December and starting in January, my good friend from highschool, Shelly Ferguson, will be joining me in Italy and we will share the room.  I'm beyond excited for her to get here!!! The apartment is in a great area surrounded by tons of clothes stores, book stores, coffee shops, restaurants, grocery stores, movie theater, etc. I'll be a block away from the bus stop that drops me off right at work; very convenient! I'll post pictures of the apartment as soon as I get settled.

Everything is falling into place for me here.  I'm excited to be out on my own and hopefully make some Italian girlfriends and learn more of the language.  I'm ready to start working and finally make Euros, so I don't have to constantly convert everything I buy into dollars, which is very depressing everytime I think about it. Now is when the vacation-period ends and real life kicks in.

No comments:

Post a Comment