Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Dog Days Are Not Over

It continues to be very hot here.  I wish that it would cool down soon.  I always hear about the cooler temperatures back in the states, but it's consistently 90 degrees and humid here each day.

Time is flying by here.  I can't believe it's already mid-September!! Anna and I continue to keep very busy. Last Wednesday, we went to our friend, Annalisa's house for a dinner party. I feel so lucky that I have opportunities like going to a dinner party at an Italian friend's house and be surrounded by only other Italians. Friday, Anna and Giuseppe celebrated one year since they met in Chicago. Anna made reservations at her favorite restaurant in the city that has tables in a garden...so romantic! Annalisa and I went to see our friend, Simone's band play.  They are an Oasis cover band and are very talented.

Saturday, Anna and I went with a bunch of friends to an aperitivo and "murder mystery" show that our friend, Valeria was in.  We had to discover who the murderer was for the situation that they acted out.  Our friends were great and translated everything for us so that we knew what was going on. We were the first table to solve the mystery and unfortunately, Anna and I were of no help. It was my first aperitivo since arriving in Italy.  It's a great deal that you have to spend 10euros and you get a drink and a buffet of food; a great way to eat cheaply!
(Aperitivo and "Murder Mystery" Show)

Sunday night was the first Inter Milan game of the season.  Francesco and I watched the game, but they lost to Cagliari.  He was not in a good mood! All of our friends here are fans of Roma.  Francesco and Giuseppe are the only ones who support Inter.  I like to be different and support Inter as well. I've never been into soccer, but it's such a big deal over here, that i'm excited to get into it.
(Annalisa, Francesco, Giuseppe, Anna and I at the Irish Pub)

Last night, Anna and I went to the Mexican restaurant we went to last Monday.  This time, we took Annalisa with us.  Annalisa never drinks, but agreed to have a margarita with us last night.  We made it a pact to eat there at least once a month.  The boys had to have dinner with their boss, but met us up later at the Irish Pub for a drink.
 (Anna, Annalisa and I at the Mexican Restaurant with Annalisa's first drink!)

Today, I accepted a position to work as a freelance English teacher for a school called, Inilingua.  A lot of the courses are taught at businesses that are in my neighborhood.  I start training next Tuesday and begin working around the first of October.  Depending on my flexibility, I can pick up as many hours as I'd like.  If other opportunities come up for the morning or afternoon, I can take those as well. I'm excited to finally start working!! I also have found an apartment that i'm moving into at the end of September.  I'll be living with 3 Italian girls that are students.  My room is a double room, meaning it has 2 beds.  I'm going to live there by myself until the end of December when my friend, Shelly is moving here.  She's going to be teaching english as well and I am beyond excited for her to get here!! Everything is falling into place and I continue to feel blessed in all of my experiences here.

Anna and I are headed to Irsina on Thursday.  This weekend is the festival of San Eufemia, the patron saint of Irsina.  There are concerts each night, rides, food stands, etc. A lot of my friends from Irsina that I met in August will be back for this weekend.  Giuseppe comes on Saturday and that's when they'll tell his parents that he and Anna are engaged! I'll come back next Monday since I have training on Tuesday for my new job. I'm very excited to go back and to introduce Anna to some of the great people that I met there last month.
(Me, Francesco and Annalisa :)

No comments:

Post a Comment