Tuesday, January 10, 2012

NYE 2012-Roma Style

Like I said in my last post, Shelly and I arrived in Italy on December 30th, just in time to quickly adjust to the time change and get ready for New Year's. A good friend of Giuseppe's, Adriana, invited us (me, Shelly, Anna and Annalisa) to her house for a NYE dinner and party.  I have only met Adriana one time before because she moved to Milan about 2 weeks after I moved here, but thought that she was SO sweet the time we met.

The party changed locations to a friend of her boyfriends because the dining area was much larger at his house.  I can't even tell you the hosts name because he never came up and introduced himself to us! At first, noone was very friendly to us, but as the night went on (and people drank more), people became much more friendly and all of a sudden, many people started speaking english to us.  All it takes is a drink or two :)

Annalisa, Me, Anna

Dinner lasted for about 3 hours.  The appetizers were: cheese, bread, roasted red peppers, eggplant, zucchini, anchovies, olives, smoked salmon, oysters, salami, and I know i'm missing a thing or two.  The first course was fresh spaghetti with clams, mussels and tomatoes...it was fantastic! The second course (which I had to skip because I was already full) was mushroom lasagna and a red-sauce lasagna.  I tried a bite of the mushroom one and it was very good. Next came the fish dish.  It was served with bones and all and dressed in olive oil, parsley and lemon.  They expected everyone to eat an entire fish...Anna and I shared one. Then they had a beef dish, which I couldn't even think about eating and finally a lentil dish, again, I couldn't eat anymore.  This was by far the biggest meal i've ever seen.  That's saying a lot since i've spent many the days in Irsina.



There were 25 of us there and we all went out onto the balcony at midnight, counted down and popped a couple bottles of champagne.  A wonderful night spent with great people :)

Anna, Annalisa, Adriana, Shelly, Me, Elisa

No comments:

Post a Comment